13 May 2020
Tennis can resume today. Understandably, there are many restrictions on play so that we can protect each other and the wider community.
Second, we are also implementing some rules and procedures to make sure play at Camber is safe. These are set out below. Please read these carefully before attempting to play. We will review them regularly to ensure they remain appropriate, and to ensure that, for example, restrictions on court booking times meet the needs of all members.
Finally, the Committee has done its best to make decisions which are fair to all the membership but we would welcome any comments and suggestions about how the club is operating at this difficult time. If you would like to get in touch, please email email@example.com.
Before we launch into the rules, on a slightly lighter note here is Camber featuring on the global media site Reuters. Just 20 hours after posting, John, Rebecca and others have been seen by 57,300 viewers.
Playing at Camber
- Only singles play is allowed. The only exception is if four members of the same household wish to play doubles.
- You can only play at Camber if you have pre-booked a court. You are not allowed to turn up and play.
- There are no social sessions and no team/arranged practice sessions until further notice. This means that there are courts available for booking at all times every day of the week.
- To give everyone an opportunity to play, each member may only book a maximum of two hours per day and a maximum of six hours per week.
- You can also only book two weeks ahead, so that we can easily adjust these rules if necessary.
- Please do not arrive more than 10 minutes before your booked time, and do not remain at the club for longer than 10 minutes after it has finished.
- You will need to bring your own tennis balls. If you are playing with a member not in your household, we suggest that you have two sets, mark the balls clearly and only handle your own set.
- Nets do not need to be adjusted. They have been set to the correct height, and net winders removed.
- The codes to the courts have been returned to as they were before closure.
- Any guest fees (£5 per session) will need to be paid by bank transfer, to Camber Lawn Tennis Club; sort code 20-66-51; account number 70727172. Please include in the reference your name and the word ‘guest’. Also a reminder that nobody can visit as a guest more than three times in a subs year: after that they must join as a member (with previous guest fees deducted from their subscription).
- The box leagues will not be restarted yet, but this will be kept under regular review.
You are discouraged from entering the clubhouse as this will increase the risk of virus transmission. However, you are allowed to do so for the following reasons, if necessary, to:
- Use the toilets (but not the changing facilities).
- Wash your hands.
- Operate the floodlights, using coins only, not the key. The meters only take £1 and 20p coins (15 minutes and 3 minutes respectively).
- Access the first aid kit, defibrillator or fire extinguisher, all of which will be left in the near the entrance.
The clubhouse should not be accessed for any other purpose. The TV area, kitchen and bar are all out of bounds (please bring your own water). A physical barrier will be put up as a reminder!
Hygiene, cleanliness and reducing risk
As well as bringing your own tennis balls, please observe the following rules:
- Ensure that your hands are clean before and after touching surfaces, for example door or gate handles, etc
- Wipe down all surfaces with disinfectant and a cloth (or disposable antiseptic wipe) after touching them.
- Please ensure that you bring your own hand sanitiser and disinfectant/wipes to ensure that you can comply with the above points. The club will attempt to provide one set of each, inside and outside the front door, but we cannot guarantee that these will be available.
- At present the clubhouse alarm is not working, so please do not attempt to use the touchpad.- we will update when we have got it back into operation.